Re: [RTTY] JARTS age histogram

To: Don AA5AU <aa5au@bellsouth.net>, "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] JARTS age histogram
From: Ron Kolarik <rkolarik@neb.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 00:17:27 -0500

On 10/21/2015 10:24 PM, Don AA5AU wrote:
In 2011, I did an analysis on the ages of those competing in JARTS that year
from logs received by various operators. The most populous age group in 2011
was 60-64. So considering we are four years older now, it makes sense that the
most populous age would be 65-69. Interestingly, Hisami 7L4IOU, conducted age
analysis in 2009 from logs received in that year's contest and his analysis
showed the same age group as being most populous (60-65). However, in 2009, the
55-59 age group was close behind in second place.
This proves to me that we are getting older as a group and we are not getting
an influx of younger operators to replace us when we eventually go QRT. It's
sad, but true.

It's not just the contesters that are aging, it's amateur radio as a whole. The last ARRL contest advisory committee made note of the fact that even though raw numbers of hams were increasing a large percentage are "CERT wannabes". By the way the report was 10 pages long before someone reduced it to 2, if you want the original just ask.

I don't know what the answer is to getting more young people active and I think Bill is right about their other distractions. I had the window open the other day and one of the neighbor kids heard the strange noises coming from the radio. Well I couldn't pass up the chance at infecting another one so invited him and his dad in to see what was up. I went through the whole works,SSB,CW, digi modes, the horrible sounds of email over HF, ALE, the kid pulled out his smart phone and asked what exactly it was he couldn't do with it that I was doing with a room full of gear. Both him and his dad were more impressed with some things I had on the bench and a Model 15 spitting out an ITTY feed. Don't think I hooked him but he does want to learn how to put itty bitty parts on a board so maybe there's a chance, QRP TRX waiting in the que.

Ron K0IDT