Re: [RTTY] How I worked VK0EK from NA on 15M RTTY this, morning

To: "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat@outlook.com>, "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] How I worked VK0EK from NA on 15M RTTY this, morning
From: "John Barber" <john@bordertech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 22:59:21 +0100
Bill wrote:

Too often, RTTY seems to be an afterthought for DXPeditions. Not criticizing
this one because I haven't heard them yet, but past operations have had
operators who are new to RTTY and obviously inexperienced. Nothing wrong
with a new op, but they should get some training before going on an
expensive operation. Seems they are often thrown into the job and expected
to learn as they go.
73, Bill W6WRT

>From what I have seen the RTTY operator(s) at VK0EK have been very
competent, just not on the air for any decent length of time. I agree that
past operations have had inexperienced RTTY ops and maybe even training
before the trip isn't enough. What would help is to have a couple of ops who
WANT to work RTTY; who are willing to fight the CW guys for the best band or
antenna, then keep that RTTY station active through the operation.

John GW4SKA