Re: [RTTY] Startech USB COM port adapter

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Startech USB COM port adapter
From: Scott Schultz <schultz0530@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 05:56:00 -0500
From N0IU:
(NOTE: FSK RTTY with this hardware combination does *NOT* work with DM780!) The other serial port does work with CW on N1MM+, CWType and even DM780.
From W4TV:
...and configure DM780 to have HRD control PTT you can use the same configuration for both N1MM+/MMTTY or HRD/DM780.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but let me clarify: FSK does sort of work with DM780 when using FSK RTTY on my Icom using the USB port for PTT and the serial port for the FSK line. What happens is that when you send the command to switch from transmit to receive, there is a fairly lengthy delay of several seconds. I have tried pretty much every configuration combination within DM780 and it just won't work and this has been verified by Mike WA9PIE. The problem is that Rick W4PC will not spoil his pristine code with the same "kluge" programming techniques (his words, not mine) that Makoto Mor*i* uses for MMTTY. But that's OK since I rarely do "casual" RTTY any more so I don't really need DM780 for that. If I am seriously chasing DX I use MMTTY and for contesting I use N1MM+.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

73,
de Scott N0IU
**