Re: [RTTY] Viability

To: "'Thom Durfee'" <ki8w@usa.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Viability
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 20:27:37 -0700
Hi, Thom.

RTTY is just as viable as CW at 5-10 watts if you have a good decoder
configured properly.  When people get frustrated with QRP it is usually
because the 5-10 watts is coupled into a crummy antenna system.  That
combination can be very challenging in any mode.

Ed W0YK

Thom KI8W wrote:

So where I live, I have a lot of neighbors...really close neighbors.  I
need to keep them happy.  I have permission from the powers that be to
put up some antennas.

So I ask, how viable is RTTY at "QRP" power levels?   I am talking about
a max of about 10 watts.  I want to do general rag chewing and a little
contesting.