Re: [RTTY] Lack of 40m RTTY Activity

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Lack of 40m RTTY Activity
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 01:44:55 +0000

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 21:15:05 -0400, you wrote:

>Why is there little to no night time 40m RTTY activity ?
>
>During the day 20m is great but when I get home late and 20m is dead there is
>no other RTTY activity. At least none I can find.
>
>I realize 80m would be fairly local but I would assume there would naturally
>be 40m activity at night but I almost never hear any
>RTTY signals.
>
>Is it just band conditions, my station or simply the way it is ?
>I see all kinds of PSK & JT65 signals but no RTTY.
>
>Lee - N2LEE

REPLY:

Just a guess based on my own operating:  The higher bands are more
attractive when they're open.  DX signals are stronger and more
plentiful and more easily worked, especially for those who have beams.
If it weren't for the extra multipliers during contests, I probably
wouldn't work 40 at all.

PSK and JT65 are OK if you like them but for SERIOUS radio, give me
RTTY.  :-)

One exception to that is that mobile SSB is best on 40. I try other
bands mobile but I always keep coming back to 40.

73, Bill W6WRT