Re: [RTTY] New amplifier announced

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] New amplifier announced
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 01:20:59 +0000

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 00:49:09 +0000, Thom wrote:

>Probably gonna cost more then the abode I live in. I know their radios do

REPLY:

It will be interesting to see. The pair of transistors used costs
about $400, far less than an Eimac 8877, and of course there is no
expensive high power bandswitch. There are harmonic filters which must
be switched and it probably will need an antenna tuner, both of which
are not cheap.

With everything considered I would guess it will cost about the same a
top of the line Alpha.

So why buy one?  I see three divagates:

1 Instant on.
2. Transistors don't wear out like tubes do if operated properly.
3. Transistors don't arc like tubes do. Or more correctly, they only
arc once.  :-) Arcing tubes are a notorious source of damage to amps
and power supplies.

There might be some hidden drawbacks we are not aware of. Time will
tell, but I plan to be among the first purchasers if the price is
reasonable. My Alpha 9500 will be up for sale.

73, Bill W6WRT