Re: [RTTY] New Radio

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] New Radio
From: Jeff Rinehart via RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 01:37:25 +0000 (UTC)
Icom is 100% duty cycle for RTTY

Yaesu 450D Manual says 1/2 to 1/3 full output for RTTY
Looks like an obvious choice to me.  I have run several Icoms on RTTY at 100
watts full output with no problem - 751A, Pro2 and Pro3 - no problem but I did
blow air across the top of the radio to move some of the heat from around the
rig - but not right into the radio - just across the top so as not to interfere
with the designed airflow inside the case.

Consider saving a bit longer and get a little better Icom - 7200 or better - I
haven't been impressed with the 718 - It's a beginners rig but still better in
many ways than the 450D.  My buddy has a 450D and it seems very sensitive to RF
kicking it off line - just locks up (not the power supply - the rig). de W4PJW