Re: [RTTY] FSK is bad?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FSK is bad?
From: Thom <ki8w@ki8w.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 01:00:35 +0000
You all are throwing so many good ideas around that I am starting to get confused.

Unlikely. To the best of my knowledge, the only rig manufacturer who makes
a serious attempt to reduce key clicks in FSK is Elecraft (and even then
only after K0SM pointed the issue out). I hope someone like Chen or Andy
who really knows (not someone just knee-jerk defending their rig because
they have dropped a lot of money on it) will correct me if I am wrong.

well then I guess you are saying I spent money on the wrong rig. My rig is, what it is. I cannot change it.

Your RTTY software should compensate for that. Any program that has CAT
control of the radio so that it knows what the dial frequency is should be
capable of subtracting the audio offset from the dial frequency and
displaying and logging the correct Mark frequency. Most RTTY software has
the ability to turn this offset calculation on (for LSB) or off (for FSK)
as the user chooses. In MMTTY this setting is in the Radio command window
under "Frequency offset". If you are running MMTTY under the control of a
parent program like N1MM+, the setting will be in the parent program. In
N1MM+ it's in the DI window's Setup menu - it's called AutoTRXOffset.
I have not seen anywhere to do that in Writelog or MMTTY. Maybe you can enlighten me on how to do it.

Writelog has a "LSB is really FSK" selection but it does not change the radio frequency displayed in Writelog.

The difference is not really in the transmitter, its in the receiver.
For years I have used 1275/1445 because like Jeff says it sounds
better. The RF transmitted signal is exactly the same, only the
receiver is different.

No, the offset frequency in FSK is set by the transmitter. MMTTY can only
control the received frequency in FSK. Some transmitters allow you to
choose different tone pairs for FSK via a radio menu option, in which case
you can choose the one that sounds best to you. Regardless, you need to
ensure that your software (receive) and your transceiver (transmit) agree
on what tone pair you are using, otherwise your transmit and receive
frequencies will be different.

Think I am going with 1275. I like the sound better. I have set my 480 to that frequency.

73

Thom KI8W