[RTTY] ZS2EZ - Help Needed!

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] ZS2EZ - Help Needed!
From: "Barry Murrell ZS2EZ" <zs2ez@zs2ez.co.za>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 10:30:13 +0200
Hi All

I am desperately in need of some help!!

Right at the start of the 2016 CQ WW RTTY Contest my Ameritron AL-811
amplifier made a loud hissing noise and a loud bang as it blew a fuse (just
as I started tuning up on 20m). I replaced the fuse, and subsequently every
time I switched the amp on the fuse blew again. Following a procedure
suggested by Mike W4AAW I established that the problem was not a bad tube,
but was a power supply issue. As I am hesitant to prod around with high
voltages, I took the amp to my very good friend Andre ZS2ACP, who has MANY
years of experience with such equipment. Andre has established that there
are at least two faulty components that need to be replaced before he can
trace any further - and both are unobtainable in our home town of Port
Elizabeth (here we only have 2 outlets that sell ANY components, and they
only carry very basic stuff) and are even proving unobtainable via the
online South African suppliers!

The components in question are:

1.       Capacitor  210mfd  450VDC  POS + 85C  MAX Surge 525VDC  (with
"stud" terminals)

2.       Carbon Resistor 50K 7W

I have posted photos on my website at http://www.zs2ez.co.za/amp-parts.html

In desperation I am reaching out to my fellow-RTTYers - running Low Power
from way down at the bottom of Africa is really not easy, and due to our
disastrous economy new equipment is just NOT a proposition (our exchange
rate versus the Dollar has slumped from R6/$ some 4 years back to R15/$
currently!!). Hopefully SOME kind soul out there will be able to help me get
my amp up and running again!!

I still dream about owning a 1KW solid-state amp one day - but will need to
win the Lotto first!!  They cost nearly as much as my ANNUAL gross income!!
:(

73 de BARRY MURRELL ZS2EZ

KF26ta - Port Elizabeth, South Africa

EPC#0558 DMC#1690 WCC#030 30MDG#4081

DXCC(mixed)#41,146  DXCC(RTTY)#1,916

DXCC(phone)#34,990  DXCC(CW)#11,714

DXCC 40m,30m,20m,17m,15m,12m,10m

WAS Triple Play #492  WAS(RTTY)#538  WAZ(RTTY)#185  WAE-I(mixed)#72

WAZS(mixed)#214  AAA#1569

AS ZR6DXB: VUCC(50MHZ)#1,334  UKSMG WAE(Silver)#75  UKSMG AFRICA#22  WAC
(Satellite)

website :  <http://www.zs2ez.co.za/> www.zs2ez.co.za