Re: [RTTY] NS RTTY Sprint

To: "ed@w0yk.com" <ed@w0yk.com>, 'RTTY Reflector' <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] NS RTTY Sprint
From: Ken K6MR <k6mr@outlook.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 03:18:56 +0000
Thanks for the posting Ed.

The “change it every week” has been suggested several times, but just enabling
dupes for a few weeks during the year on CW proves that many do not necessarily
read the announcement every week. With only 30 minutes available, by the time
you figure out what’s going on it’s over.  Setup is also certainly simplified:
open the same log setup every week and you are ready. Couple of minutes tops.
Also a suggestion of one hour sessions, but with the current level of activity
I don’t think that’s practical. We’d also have to move the start time due to
the CW NS.

We’ve had the band discussion before, and I totally agree. I was more or less
following CW just for consistency. So from now on I’ll post all (160-10).  I
don’t know anything about 6 meters, and it’s not really a typical ‘HF’ contest
band.

I would love to get rid of dupes.  The last Ladder we had on RTTY (without
dupes) was about 10 minutes of operating and 20 minutes of CQs.  I’ve tried
sending out notices to contest clubs, getting the posting in the ARRL Contest
Letter, etc.  I’m pretty convinced that Sprint format is what scares most
people away. But having another evening of a few stations sitting on one
frequency for the duration (a la CWTs) doesn’t seem worth it.  VE2FK put out a
note a few months ago asking if anyone would be interested in a CWT style RTTY
session, and got no takers. As I’ve admitted to many, I’m addicted to Sprints
so I do have a bias.  I asked on the NCCC reflector why more NCCC members don’t
participate and the replies I received mostly indicated difficulty with the
middle of the week time frame. Totally understandable for the non-retired folks
or those with significant family responsibilities.

At least for me, dupes allows practicing the physical aspects of operating. Who
I work doesn’t matter, it’s learning the routine, or trying a different logger,
those kind of things. I recently started using two keyboards and actually doing
it every week shortened the learning curve significantly.

We do get new stations who come and go, likely due to other responsibilities.
If everyone could bring one additional station that would really boost activity.

Ken K6MR