Re: [RTTY] Intel NUC, anyone?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Intel NUC, anyone?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 16:40:27 -0400

> So my next question is, how to the commercial USB interfaces that
> support FSK actually do it?  Are they skipping the RS-232 part and
> just wiggling (at 45.45 bauds) some wire that connects to the radio's
> FSK port?

The microHAM "keyer" interfaces (not USB Interface II and III) contain
a microprocesor with a UART.  The UART is used for FSK with the baud
clock programmed for the required baud rate.  microHAM goes so far as
to alias 45 baud (Windows can set only integer baud rates) to 45.45
baud so the timing is exact.  Further, with MK II, DK II, MK2R and
micro2R, the processor will insert a diddle character if there is no
data in the FIFO to prevent a "long" stop bit.

I can't answer for other manufacturers but as far as I know all of
them are using "dumb" USB to serial converters or, in some cases,
USB to parallel devices with with shift registers to clock the bits
at a specific rate.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV