Re: [RTTY] Signals that don't decode

To: rtty@contesting.com, g3yyd2@btinternet.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Signals that don't decode
From: John Becker <johnb3030@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 16:41:21 -0600
I'm not a big contester, but I enjoy RTTY and will occasionally work a RTTY contest for a few hours. I'm running FSK on an FT-1000MP Mk. V with WinWarbler. Since first getting on RTTY in 2008, I've worked 319 DXCC entities, so I think my setup is working pretty well.

I have noticed very occasionally specific stations that I am just unable to work even though propagation and pileup size suggest they should be easy. I have had them tell me to quit calling because they can't copy me. Since they don't know my call, I can't be 100% certain the remarks were directed at me, but timing suggested that they were.

In the ARRL RTTY roundup in January, this happened with a YV5. He came back to me as KM9G a couple of times, then said there was something wrong with my signal. Several years ago, I had the same problem with a D44 in the CQ WW RTTY contest. In both cases, I would come back to calling the station every so often, but never worked either one. There have been a few other instances of this, but these are the two which have stuck in my memory.

This is very frustrating and I wish I could figure out the cause. There must be a subtle incompatibility of some sort. Any ideas? Thanks!

73,

John, K9MM