Re: [RTTY] FSK Keying of TS-590SG

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FSK Keying of TS-590SG
From: groupsrichart@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 23:43:14 -0500
Thanks for the good information Joe. I hope to get some time this weekend to play around with some transistors and resistors on a breadboard and see how that works out. I'll put the serial card back in the computer that has the 5V logic. It seems like years ago many of the serial ports would have a good 12 or 15 volts on them.

73,
Tim WS4V

However, I was not aware that AFSK could provide a better and
narrower signal than FSK.
Only if you are scrupulous in keeping the drive level to the rig
below the distortion/saturation point, keep RF off the audio cable
*and* make sure the "ground" (audio return) is not broken.

In addition, it is crucial that Windows be configured so that it
will not send any of its own noises, streaming audio, DX Alerts,
etc. to the sound card/audio port being used for AFSK.

I am bound and determined to get FSK working and plan to try a
switching transistor as you suggest.

Many newer serial ports are 3.3V logic instead of 5V or even 10V
as in the old days.  With a lower voltage, the base (current limiting)
resistor in both opto-isolator and switching transistor interfaces
need to be much lower than shown in older designs.  Measure the
voltage on the FSK (TxD?) line from your serial port and choose
a resistor that allows enough current to saturate the LED in the
opto-isolator and/or create +1V on the base of a switching transistor.

Note: with MMTTY and a USB to serial adapter, you will probably need
to use the EXTFSK driver as, except in limited cases, most USB to
serial adapters no longer support data rates below 300 bps.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV