Re: [RTTY] Jitter

To: "'Hank Garretson'" <w6sx@arrl.net>, "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Jitter
From: David G3YYD via RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 09:13:26 -0000
Hank

The 54mS (milliseconds) you see is not timing Jitter that is the stop bit
length. But that stop length is miles too long. The best stop bit length is
33mS. Every character you are sending takes 186mS while it should be taking
165mS for a standard RTTY character of 1 start bit + 5 data bits + 1.5 stop
bits.

If you sent a standard RTTY character that would save 13% of the
transmission time.

Jitter on the bit timing would have to be extremely poor to show up on the
2Tone stop bit time measure which is what this figure is showing. 2Tone
averages the last 4 characters to derive this figure. Some sending systems
have really poor stop bit length timing and then it will show up as a
considerable variation in this number. Some propagation induced variation is
to be expected at times.

If there is a setting for stop bit it should be set to 1.5. MMTTY has a
setting for this. 2Tone is already set for 1.5 stop bit length and has no
operator adjustment.

73 David G3YYD