SD-User

Re: [SD-User] RSGB 2nd 1.8 MHz Scoring

To: <sd-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [SD-User] RSGB 2nd 1.8 MHz Scoring
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:28:30 -0000
From: "Phil Catterall" <g4obk@philcatterall.plus.com>

> It looks like SD is scoring different USA call areas as bonus
> QSOs (3+5) in last nights RSGB 1.8 MHz contest.

I checked the RSGB HFCC website before posting the setup info.

In the contest rules www.contesting.co.uk/hfcc/rules/r18mhz.shtml,
under Scoring, it says, "... plus a bonus of five points for the
first contact with each UK District worked and the first contact
with each Country outside the UK worked"

The General Rules, www.contesting.co.uk/hfcc/information/info.shtml
which "apply to all RSGB contests with the exception of the IOTA
Contest" state, under Multipliers, "for UK stations: Countries as
per the DXCC countries list, except that JA, W, VE, VK, ZL and ZS
call areas count as separate countries"

The issue here is whether, for scoring purposes, "bonus" countries
and "multiplier" countries are the same thing.

On 13th November last year (2003), in an attempt to have this
resolved, I posted the following to the uk-contest mailing list.
There were no replies.

    The rules for this contest specify a bonus of 5 points
    for each new "Country", but do not indicate the DXCC
    list or the RSGB list - with credit for call-areas in
    various countries such as W and VE.

    The only reference to countries in the General Rules is
    in the context of multipliers, and the RSGB list applies.

    I know it's academic for most entrants (who don't expect
    to work multiple W/VE call areas), but which list applies
    in the 1.8 MHz contest which has country bonuses as an
    alternative to multipliers?

> The keying with SD Win was shaky at first but at around the
> 30 QSO mark I changed the priority to zero and that made it
> acceptable.

With WinKey, you will have smooth keying at all times.  There's
nothing more I can do internally in SD, becasue Windows has a
mind of its own when it comes to timing issues.

73,
Paul EI5DI