SD-User

Re: [SD-User] Any MicroHAM SD users?

To: "sd-user" <sd-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [SD-User] Any MicroHAM SD users?
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:55:16 -0000
From: "F.G.Robertson" <F.G.Robertson@open.ac.uk>

> Does anyone know if the MicroHAM USB to radio interface solves the
> Windows CW keying/timing problem, or do I still need a Winkey chip?

I have the MicroHAM USB-RS232 interface (same as Dave's G3UEG).
Until this evening I've only used it with WinKey, and this
combination works perfectly on both Win98 and XP, for both
keying and PTT - or for rig control.  This model does not
support both keying and rig control at the same time.

I've just tested it with SD's internal keyer, and it makes no
difference to speed variations due to Windows doing its own
thing occasionally - I wouldn't have expected it to make a
difference.  Also, the interface has a separate phono socket,
presumably intended for PTT.  However, this socket is labelled
CTS, but SD uses RTS for PTT - so PTT doesn't work with the
internal keyer (as Dave noted).

> Does this interface allow me to choose a virtual com port for the
> rig control and another virtual com port for keying?

As I mentioned already, this model, the last one listed on
http://www.microham.com/USB%20interfaces.html, does not support
rig control and keying at the same time.  However, the others on
the same page do, you just have to select the one corresponding
to your radio. A very useful bonus is that level conversion (where
required) is included - for example, the Icom model USB to CI-V
does away with the need for an Icom CI-17 converter.

73,
Paul EI5DI