SD-User

Re: [SD-User] serial cw keying cable

Subject: Re: [SD-User] serial cw keying cable
From: Paul Whatton <paul@g4dcv.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:41:48 +0000
Coincidentally Bob I set up SD to key my rig (IC746) for the first time
yesterday. I too tried to use an existing cable and had exactly the same
problem as you, tune worked but the rig did not key. The problem was the
pin out on the serial connector. The PTT line (RTS) from the serial port
was connected to the key input on the rig not the key line (DTR).

I solved it in about ten minutes by making up a new cable just as Paul
suggests in the SD instructions on page 10. http://www.ei5di.com/sd/sd.pdf

The DTR line on the serial port is used for keying so, assuming you have
a modern rig and not one with HV keying line, you'll need to drive the
base of any old small NPN transistor through about a 2k2 resistor from
DTR which, on a 9 pin D connector is pin 4. Ground is pin 5. Then the
rig is keyed across collector/emitter.

It works fine now. The keying is perfectly useable and with a bit of
adjustment to the weighting doesn't sound bad at all. But I do have a
few of those Windoze timing issues and get occasional changes in speed.
Plus of course my paddles and the computer are not speed locked
together. So I've just ordered Winkey.

73 Paul G4DCV