[SECC] GQP log checking and log submission

Subject: [SECC] GQP log checking and log submission
From: w3dya@juno.com (w3dya@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:23:20 -0500
Hi John:

Wish I had read your comments before replying to Neal, K4EA.

I don't doubt that the events you described have happened many times;
there are a lot of cheaters around and you have to expect a few in the
ham world.  But cheaters usually engage in matters that have some profit
or gain - winning a state QSO party seems like a waste of cheating.

I do have one reservation about summary sheets and have discussed this
with several of the more active mobiles, especially Hal, W1NN, who never
seems to have time to get his log in on time - he travels a lot!

The reservation I have is that the contest manager or log checker has the
right and responsibility to ask any station for a detail log if his score
seems out of line.  Could be required if it earns a plaque!

If a log checker asked me about a specific (CW) station in the GQP, I
feel I could render a reasonably good estimate of whether that station
was active enough to be #1 or in the top few stations.  This wouldn't be
a burden, I'm sure, because a few unfavorable comments would justify a
request for a log - and email is pretty convenient for such things.

Since I process all my logs on my PC, I expect I'll always submit a
detail log in the format requested: paper, email, or diskette.  And I'll
probably get serious about Cabrillo before next year.  In fact, I may try
SS just to see if I can get interested enough to submit a log in Cabrillo
format....

Your comments were very good and support the need for discussion; in the
meantime, I'll try to make it as easy on the log checker as I can.

73, Norm, W3DYA

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/seccfaq.html
Search:                   http://www.contesting.com