[SECC] GQP logs

Subject: [SECC] GQP logs
From: w3dya@juno.com (w3dya@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:01:08 -0500
Hi Neal:

I wouldn't want anyone to misunderstand my comments about detail logs vs
summary sheets or the fervor of my feelings.  I am not a serious
contester; in fact I have to force myself to get ready for contests other
than being mobile myself.  I try to get in as many state QSO Parties as I
can to encourage others to look for me in contests when I'm mobile there.
 Sort of like supporting each other makes for active contests!

I know a lot, if not all, SECC members are serious contesters and very
good ones; so naturally, they would be concerned about integrity of
contest results.

Although I feel strongly that summary sheets are good enough and
reasonably accurate (except for unintentional errors), your point about
errors you can't correct without the detail is very accurate.  I never
keep track of the ones I correct by referring to the detail, but it's got
to be a surprising number - certainly more than 10% I would guess.  And
usually they are inaccurate on the low side!

As I said, I'll never boycott a contest because of log requirements, but
lots of people have enough trouble getting it on paper in any format.  I
manage the CH CW Contest (no booing from the audience, please), and I
send a lot of reminders a couple of weeks after the contest (email and
regular mail) asking for logs in any condition or shape - and I get a lot
who take me up on my offer to calculate the totals myself.  But it's
worth the extra work to get more logs in the results.

So don't be hasty, but maybe this is a good subject for the "real"
contesters to discuss seriously.  Hell, it might make your contest the
event of the year HI!

73, Norm, W3DYA

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/seccfaq.html