[SEDXC] Re: [SECC] 160 band plan comments

Subject: [SEDXC] Re: [SECC] 160 band plan comments
From: gary@noblepub.com (Gary Breed)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:05:51 -0500
The issue of a 160M band plan has arisen, I believe, for two reasons:

1. There has been a significant increase in the international
allocations over the past several years. This, in turn, has created
a dramatic increase in activity on a fascinating band with unique
propagation characteristics and an alluring mystique.

2. More recently, digital mode proponents have been independently
setting their own band plans and recommended calling frequencies,
with little or no consideration for present band usage. The first
good example is setting a digital calling frequency on 40M at 7040
-- which for many, many years has been the QRP calling frequency.
When the same digital groups looked at 160 and recommended frequencies
in the "DX Window," a few Topband enthusiasts were more than a little
ticked off!

Regardless of the state of international allocations, a band plan for
160 is essential for it to get all parties to coexist with efficient
band usage, while allowing 160 to remain the "Gentlemen's Band."

73, Gary
K9AY

Re 40M SSB:  Perhaps 15% of the time, the requirement of working split
is an advantage.  The other 85% of the time it is the biggest pain
in the a__ on the ham bands.  The IARU and ARRL should pursue the band
expansion plan of 6900-7100 worldwide.