[SECC] KS5M - Introduction

Subject: [SECC] KS5M - Introduction
From: gary@noblepub.com (Gary Breed)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:27:38 -0500
Gordon

> I am looking forward to meeting some of the other members in person. Is
> there a band / frequency where the group hangs out.

We tried 80 SSB a while back, but there is no regular on-the-air meeting
place -- I guess this reflector is the best place.

> Are there any group activites / contests planned in the near future ??

1)  Rick, NQ4I is organizing another major M/M effort for CQWW WPX CW.
2)  Don't know if there is a Field Day possibility or not.
3)  It looks we will have another Georgia QSO Party on July 21-22.
4)  We will certainly round up as many teams as possible for the
    North American QSO Parties in August (CW and SSB).
5)  Then we get into heart of next fall's contest season.

 > I have the bug again after many years of inactivity on HF. I use to
contest
> quit a bit from my home call and from W4PRO in Virginia..
> My favorite contest is SS.. With all the computer technolgy it looks like
> the world has changed quit a bit... I would appreciate input on contest /
> logging programs..

I am a fan of Writelog, but TRlog, NA and CT are also widely used.  The
latter three are all DOS-based and can use that old '286 or '386 machine you
have sitting around.  Writelog is a Windows program, with all the pros and
cons that brings!

> I just bought a ICOM 706MKIIG for the car. Nothing in the way of antennas
at
> home yet.. Subdivision restrictions but a couple of 80 foot trees nearby
> with a rope and pully put up last weekend.

Tall trees are a good thing!

> Some of my equipment with dust on it.
> FT-726R (Yes , I also like VHF/UHF Contests)
> FT-757GX
> Alpha 78 ?(no tune, sad but I don't remember the model number.. It's been
in
> the closet / basement for years.)
> DXing/Awards
> 5BDXCC
> DXCC - about 300... should be a few on now that weren't when i retired the
> station.
> DXCC - CW

Sound like you have all the tools to have fun again!

73, Gary
K9AY