[SECC] Phonetics

Subject: [SECC] Phonetics
From: k4no@mchsi.com (Greg Richard)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 21:03:01 -0600
I didn't operate much in the ARRL SSB contest but I heard a CT1 station on
Sunday morning.  He had lots of guys calling but every 2nd one was a dupe.
He was talking fairly fast and when he called CQ, it sounded like he said
Charlie Tango One Alpha Fox United.  A stateside guy would call and when the
CT1 gave the exchange, he'd say "dupe"  I guess it took a couple of seconds
to get the call in the computer.  Then the stateside guys would ask for his
call and he gave it phonetically again but a bit slower and it was CT1APU.
I listened for about 5 minutes and he must have had 8 dupes call in during
this time.  I wanted to jump in and suggest he change phonetics but I
didn't.

The moral of the story is IF you have alot of guys calling you that are
dupes, CHANGE THE PHONETICS YOU ARE USING especially if there is a
consistency to the letter(s) they continue to bust.  I know that when I
start talking real fast on SSB, alot of guys get the 4 in my callsign as a
2.  It happened when I was KC4ZV and it still happens now as K4NO.

Just one of the things you can control to help reduce dupes in a contest.

Anybody got other thoughts?

Greg K4NO