[SECC] Break down K4BAI/M GQP 2003

Subject: [SECC] Break down K4BAI/M GQP 2003
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Tue Apr 15 18:03:32 2003
Hello guys:

You may not be as interested as I was in a breakdown of our QSOs from
the 42 counties last weekend.  If that is the case, just hit the delete
button.  But this breakdown should give you a better idea of the fun you
can have with a good mobile installation (at least on CW) in a state QSO
party.  I think similar results might be possible from a SSB mobile, but
better and more power might be required.  We don't seem to generate as
much interest among SSB contesters, but there is a greater chance to get
calls from non-contesters on SSB if you have a very good signal, than on
CW, where the number of callers is sort of self-limited.
                        QSOs
County          Abbrev  40      20      15      10      Total   Mults   Mins
Muscogee        MUSC    17      39      6       0       62      23      38 (1)
Chattahoochee   CHAT    0       29      4       0       33      18      15
Stewart         STWT    0       34      2       0       36      17      23
Randolph        RAND    0       33      5       0       38      19      22
Quitman         QUIT    0       26      7       0       33      19      13
Clay            CLAY    0       30      4       1       35      15      23
Earley          EARL    0       41      2       2       45      18      35
Miller          MILL    0       30      4       0       34      18      15
Seminole        SEMI    0       38      4       1       43      19      16
Decatur         DECA    0       40      6       1       47      18      33
Grady           GRAD    0       49      8       0       57      28      49
Thomas          THOM    0       42      5       0       47      23      24
Mitchell        MITC    0       48      0       0       48      22      21
Baker           BAKR    0       34      0       0       34      20      15
Calhoun         CALH    33      28      0       0       61      27      39
Terrell         TERR    31      61      0       0       92      32      47 (2)
Webster         WEBS    30      18      0       0       48      24      23
Sumter          SUMT    37      3       0       0       40      25      37
Schley          SCHL    28      0       0       0       28      17      13
Marion          MARI    36      0       0       0       36      22      28
Talbot          TLBT    20      24      0       0       44      21      32 (3)
Harris          HARR    0       22      0       0       22      15      27
Taylor          TAYL    0       13      10      0       23      11      24
Crawford        CRAW    0       11      10      0       21      12      10
Peach           PEAC    0       12      12      0       24      13      12
Macon           MACO    0       15      10      0       25      12      15
Houston         HOUS    0       15      5       0       20      11      15
Dooly           DOOL    0       24      6       0       30      16      14
Crisp           CRIS    0       29      10      0       39      17      33
Turner          TURN    0       34      7       0       41      15      18
Tift            TIFT    0       33      12      0       45      19      39
Berrien         BERR    0       35      5       0       40      16      25
Cook            COOK    0       36      16      0       52      18      24
Lanier          LANI    0       44      14      0       58      21      55
Clinch          CLCH    0       33      3       0       36      16      20
Echols          ECHO    0       39      10      0       49      21      22
Lowndes         LOWN    0       65      15      0       80      25      66
Brooks          BROK    0       49      8       0       57      22      26
Colquitt        COLQ    0       63      7       0       70      24      51
Worth           WORT    0       52      5       0       57      25      19
Dougherty       DHTY    0       50      1       0       51      23      19
Lee             LEE     0       62      2       0       64      26      26

All                     232     1383    225     5       1845    40     1121(4)

(1)  We were in Muscogee three times.  We started here and ended here
Sat night and started out here again Sunday AM.
(2)  We were in Terrell twice.  We went through after nightfall Saturday
and ended up here at the end of the contest on Sunday.
(3)  We were in Talbot twice. We were there near the end Saturday night
and then again fairly early Sunday.
(4)  Note the total hours counted by the computer seems to be 18.68
hours.  Therefore, the total per county is about right, but the averages
for the entire contest must be considered by dividing by 1200 minutes.
The 79 minutes not actually allocated to a county must have been
involved with adjusting the antenna and antenna tuner, taking gas
breaks, and a few rest stops.  I tried to maximize air time by eating
while moving (while driving actually) and Jeff stopped to eat.  However,
while Jeff was eating, I was operating, so that didn't really cost us
any time.  I guess we lost a minute or two between each county by
exiting one computer program and bringing up another (all 42 files were
prepared ahead of time) and sometimes trying to reestablish a running
frequency.  We did QSY whenever we could tell from QRM that we and
another GA station were on the same frequency.  But we could never
really hear the other GA stations except on 40 meters.  We kept to
within about 5 khz up and down from the published frequencies, probably
more often on the high side than the low side for no apparent reason.

Now, let's plan for next year.

73,

John, K4BAI.