[SECC] Looking for Concrete suggestions

Subject: [SECC] Looking for Concrete suggestions
From: dgaudier at houston.geoquest.slb.com (Dale Gaudier)
Date: Wed Apr 16 18:32:37 2003
Roger:

Having done my share of tower installations, I would suggest:

1. Use rebar. I'm not a professional engineer, but most tower manufacturers
recommend a rebar cage for a self supporting tower. Besides, why try to
save a few bucks on rebar when it might mean the difference between a
strong, long-lasting base or one that can cause a hazard?

2. Check your local zoning requirements and building codes before pouring
any concrete. If you put something in that needed a permit, and a neighbor
complains, you'll have a very expensive piece of concrete to pull out of
the ground.

3. Do-it-yourself concrete is OK for small projects (e.g. fence posts) but
not for something that could fall down and do serious harm to you or your
home. You certainly don't want to think about the quality of your concrete
while you're climbing your tower doing antenna work! The quality and
strength of hand mixed concrete is notoriously variable, plus it's a LOT of
work. Call the professionals and get a quote - they have all the equipment
to haul batches of concrete to places where a truck can't be maneuvered. If
what you want is too small a batch for them to be interested in, you can
sometimes convince them to give you the leftovers from a bigger project,
such a driveway or foundation they may be doing elsewhere. They'd rather
give you the concrete than have to haul it off and dispose of it.

73,

Dale - K4DG