[SECC] W4AN

Subject: [SECC] W4AN
From: k4sb at bellsouth.net (K4SB)
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:46:11 +0000
Another question from one of our top guys
.
> K4BAI is a General to the best of my recollection.  If he
> is the trustee, aren't operations under W4AN restricted to
> general frequencies unless the control operator signs his
> call as well, as in W4AN/K4SB when in the Advanced/Extra
> bands?
---------------

The above is pretty close to a correct summation of the rules. I
believe I mentioned previously that ANY class of license may use the
call, even a Novice, BUT, during operation, that user is RESTRICTED to
the normal operating frequencies allowed by his license. In other
words, if you are General, you MUST remain at all times in the General
portions of the bands. The 1 exception is that if a "control operator"
of a higher class is present during ALL times while the call is in
use. For example, K4BAI could use the Extra class sub bands if I were
present as the control op. Same thing applies to other higher classes.
Now, it is also true that if W4AN/K4SB was used when out of the
general subbands, it would be perfectly legal. ( although somewhat
misleading )

The station would NOT have to sign the control operators call at any
time. Although the example given is sort of ridiculous considering the
superior skills of John vs myself, all I have to do is be physically
present. I can go to sleep, knit logos for the SECC, read, or do any
activity as long as my bod is physically present. Technically, if I
had to leave the room for any reason, John would have to stop
transmitting. This is a FCC rule, but in actuality, I have never heard
of it being enforced, and I believe any of the guys would state
unequivelently (sic) that they never left the room except to go along
with John for a "buddy potty" break. ):>

Now, this does bring up another matter. I don't know the breakdown of
our Club members as far as class of license, but having less than an
Extra does restrict operation. It's not that difficult an exam. My
older son took and passed it on the first go. ( after he was offered a
substantial bribe )

So, how about we "hound" the others to death unless they upgrade.
Considering what the license exam was in the "old days", this is a
breeze. ) I took 4.5 hours to finish that thing. I also broke the
pencil in half from sheer finger pressure during the 20 wpm code
test...

And I will personally pay for the ARRL Extra exam guide for ANY
general who successfully upgrades. ( or Advanced )

73
Ed