[SECC] New projects

Subject: [SECC] New projects
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 13:52:39 -0400
On Apr 24, 2005, at 3:12 PM, Greg Richard wrote:

> What projects/station improvements is everyone working on/have planned
> for the next couple of months?

I've got several projects in the hopper (I've been waiting for my back
to heal up, but its doing much better now, thank you):

1) I need to build these stupid filters for NQ4I. (NQ4I isn't stupid,
I'm stupid for not getting this done sooner) I have all the parts, the
boards made, the toroids wound. I just need to solder them together and
tune them up. Tuning is tricky, and I have to improvise a bit. (Anyone
have a 3-30 MHz spectrum analyser they can loan me?)

2) RTTY. I've come across a really exciting program for RTTY and PSK31
that runs on my PowerBook. It is called CocoaModem, and was written by
Kok Chen, K7AY. (See http://homepage.mac.com/chen) Kok is an old
correspondent of mine, and an ex-Apple employee. (Well, I think he is
ex-Apple, now that he is living in Oregon) I'm about 90% done on an
interface box for my K2.

I also need to setup and calibrate the RTTY settings on my K2. While
I'm in there, I need to re-adjust the DSP filter boundaries to enhance
the selections I've made in the crystal filters.

3) Matching network for shunt feeding tower on 160m. I'm using a simple
omega match for 80m, and the shunt feed works well. I've done some
experiments with an L network to match the feedpoint for 160m, I just
need to build something more permanent and install it. (I think I ended
up with an FT200-2 with about 40 turns and about 500 pf across the
input) I need this done before the NAQP in August.

4) My 40m sloper stopped working. I think I may have a bad connection
somewhere. I may just taken down the feedpoint box and modify it to
serve an inverted V for 30m, especially after:

5) I need to add the 40m kit to my A3S. This will give me a much better
antenna on 40m than I am currently using (especially since the sloper
quit). In domestic contests, 40m is probably my weakest band (even when
the sloper worked). This project will take some doing, as I need to
remove the rotator, lower the A3S, pull off the DE, install the 40m
kit, put the DE back on, raise the whole mess up again and re-install
the rotator.

6) Mobile HF. I'm thinking about buying an Icom 706mkIIG this summer.
I've got hamsticks for several bands and a couple of different mounts.
I just need to dig into the car and figure out how to hook things up.

7) I'd like to jig up a temporary support for a K9AY loop. This is
really for SS Phone, it would be nice to have an RX antenna for 80m
with some directivity to the north. (I find I can sometimes CQ on the
band, but can't hear all the replies well)

8) I need to modify my two-radio switchbox so that it will work for CW.
I'm not in a real hurry for this because I have a hard enough time
working CW on ONE radio.... I also want to add a second stereo
headphone jack - 1/8".

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901