[SECC] New projects

Subject: [SECC] New projects
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 12:03:50 -0400
On May 6, 2005, at 12:08 AM, K4SB wrote:
> Bill Coleman wrote:
>> Tuning is tricky, and I have to improvise a bit. (Anyone
>> have a 3-30 MHz spectrum analyser they can loan me?)
>
> I have a 0 to 14 mHz rf scope I'm planning to sell. Don't know if that
> would do the job.

A scope I've got. What I don't have is a spectrum analyzer, other than
the audio stuff you can run on a PC or Mac. (Which I use to align the
filters in my K2)

>> 2) RTTY. I've come across a really exciting program for RTTY and PSK31
>> that runs on my PowerBook. It is called CocoaModem, and was written by
>> Kok Chen, K7AY. (See http://homepage.mac.com/chen) Kok is an old
>> correspondent of mine, and an ex-Apple employee. (Well, I think he is
>> ex-Apple, now that he is living in Oregon) I'm about 90% done on an
>> interface box for my K2.
>
> No, Chen still works for some outfit in CA, ( maybe Apple ) and spends
> the weekdays there. And his programs are something else!

There's very little Ham software written for the Mac. And very little
of that is any good. CocoaModem is the best ham-related application
I've seen for the Mac. Ever.

I got a little more done on this last night. I was setting up the
filters for RTTY mode on the K2/100, and found I'm out of BFO range on
LSB to set up the narrow filters. Now I've got to make some mods
(really clean up some earlier mods) to lower the BFO low end frequency.

While I've got the covers off, I'm going to make a QSK mod that will
clean up the muting and get rid of some clickiness.

That's the nice thing about building your own rig -- there's always an
opportunity to enhance and improve it.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901