[SECC] NAQP this weekend

Subject: [SECC] NAQP this weekend
From: halken at comcast.net (Hal Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 20:48:30 -0400
Here are a few thoughts on strategy for optimizing the 10 of 12 hours a
single op has in the NAQP this weekend.  This is copied off the
cq-contest reflector for those who don't subscribe or are too QRL to
read it all.

Time-off strategy for NAQP is really critical for those aiming for the
top spots.  If your not - well, just enjoy yourself!

The attachment was written from the North end of the black hole - which
is a place you need a lot of Qs from, from GA, to score well.

#5 is crucial  to a winning score -  keep off times to 30 minutes.  It's
easy to mess this up - the 30 minute rules always seemed to me to
require you to take 31 minutes off.

The last hour is slow for rate, but there are lots of mults available on
80 and 160 - the last hour should not be break time.

73

Hal

N4GG (HP1/N4GG 11-19 August)

1. Due to the very limited time of darkness here (sunset is 0330z),

most, if not all, of my break time should be taken during the daylight
hours.

2. It will be tough to make more than 60 QSOs in the last hour, but

probably 1/3rd of those will be multipliers on 80 and 160.  Since
multipliers are worth about 6 QSOs each, that makes the effective rate
around 160 QSOs.  This makes it even more clear that using up the break
time during the day makes the most sense.

3. If ten meters is open, it might require a lot of RF to get people to
answer you.  This will be an advantage for us two radio guys, who can
throw occasional CQs up there without impacting our rate on the other

band -- or do some serious CQing up there when we are S&Ping.  For
single radio guys - see if you can put a receiver up there with a wire
to make sure you don't miss an opening.

4. 20 meters can be really hard during the middle of the afternoon with
high absorption.  Even after you have found 40 to be open, it will be

worth keeping an eye on 20 as signals will likely be a lot stronger in
the early evening than they were in the middle of the afternoon.  For

offtime, this might mean using up most of it in the few hours after the
initial rush of QSOs near the start.

5. Never take a whole hour off at a time if you can avoid it.  Instead,
spread out the 30 minute breaks and operate at least 20 minutes between
them.

6. Make sure to take 30 minutes off time - not 28 or 29 minutes.  One
station from January had a significant impact to his score because of

this.  To be safe, I define each minute as either on time or off time,

and take 30 consecutive minutes off.  This means that if you have QSOs
at 0030 and 0100 in your log, there is only 29 minutes off time between
them.  Add an extra minute to make sure (QSOs at 0030 and 0101).

Final note - don't be afraid to ask people to QSY back up to a band
where you still need their mult.  When I was in Wyoming last year, I

worked N6RT on 20 meters and we were able to quickly QSY up to 15 and 10
meters for additional QSOs (where those bands were pretty much empty at
that point).