[SECC] GQP Comments from N4PN

Subject: [SECC] GQP Comments from N4PN
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 10:37:33 -0500
See Paul's comments below.  I agree with him that we need to get more
fixed and portable stations in more counties active in GQP, as well as
keeping up the level of mobile activity.  No reason we shouldn't get all
159 counties QRV one of these years.  73, John.

GM John:

Read with interest you comments on the GQP. Times are important for the
reasons you stated.
However, the most important element of a state QSO Party is activity.
Throughout the year, when
I run across someone on the low bands in GA that I don't know, I inquire
about their county and
how much they could add to the GQP. One recently is W4OW in Seminole
county...big operator
on 160 and with lots of antennas on all bands. Knowing that we have the
second most counties in
the US only to Texas, it's hard to imagine, with past history, that all 159
would be activated. But, it
could be done of course. By myself, I can usually activate 25-30 counties
and with a driver that number
goes up to around 40+. Doing the math and some planning, only FOUR  mobilers
could activate all 159.
When you and I get prepared for the FQP or CQP, we know it's pretty much a
done-deal that we will
get a sweep long before the contest ever starts....looking back over
activity in this years Texas party,
they did a great job on the 254 counties there. I worked 104 and missed a
bunch that were activated.
Anything is possible but it takes a little dedication and promotion. In the
days when you were a larger
part of the GQP, you did a yeoman's job of  getting people on the air.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

BTW, my email addresses are: n4pn at cox.net  or pnewberry at farsmarketing.com
You have an extra "n" in your email below....

73, Paul