[SECC] Bureau??

Subject: [SECC] Bureau??
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:08:22 -0400
Hi John:

I think the two mobile QSL bureaus are run by volunteers.  I am not sure
how the postage is paid as I have never used one.  Many of the MRC cards
have a box on the card to check "I need your QSL."  I assume if you
check that, you will eventually receive a QSL directly from the station
you have confirmed.

I suspect that cards are generally not sent because these bureaus
usually send cards to people who operate mobile regularly and would be
receiving the same cards over and over again and really wouldn't want
repeat cards.

I am sure people use the bureau to cut down on the expense of soliciting
QSLs directly, although it necessarily delays receipt of the
confirmations.  KS4Q probably knows more about these bureaus than I do.
I have usually solicited QSLs directly and not via a bureau.  Years ago
there was a Continental QSL Bureau that handled US cards and I tried
sending a few that way, but it didn't work well and was short lived.

The FISTS CW club has a QSL bureau that works very well for both
domestic and DX members and I use it for FISTS members.  I always send
my card and receive an actual card, not just a MRC or reply card.  10-10
also has a QSL bureau and I have replied to cards received that way, but
have not sent any out that way myself except in reply.  I keep an
envelope with the 10-10 QSL manager, but seldom receive any cards that way.

73,

John, K4BAI.