[SECC] Winning SS

Subject: [SECC] Winning SS
From: na4bw at bellsouth.net (brian wilcox)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 22:33:00 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr at arrl.net>
To: "brian wilcox" <na4bw at bellsouth.net>
Cc: <secc at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: [SECC] Winning SS

> On Oct 2, 2006, at 9:49 PM, brian wilcox wrote:
>
>> 1000 q's generally show around  2 to 3 am (local). I will try to go
>> longer this year as the rate @ 3 to 4am is better than it is 7 or  8am.
>> The rate Sunday mornings are close to some of the worse late  Sunday
>> afternoon hourly totals. POOR.
>
> This is interesting. I wonder if anyone has a theory as to why this  might
> be.
>
> I've had a little different experience, doing a semi-serious  operation in
> SS Phone, Low Power. Around 2-3 am, the rate will really  take a dive, but
> if I wait until dawn, things pick up.
>
> I think it depends on how effective your station is on 80m. I only  have
> compromise antennas on 80m, so it's hard to run until way late  when
> things thin out. It's easier at dawn, when I can move up to 40m.

For K4SSU we do have very good success on 80m and actually had more q's
there last year than any other band.  I think a lot of it is simply the fact
that while it may be 3am here it's midnight out West and even the
semi-serious will hangout after midnight for SS. The reduction of activity
as it gets later certainly makes it easier to work the weaker stations and
add to the Q total. Sunday morning will eventually pick up but it usually
takes 20m to come alive  as the serious west Coast/Midwest have already been
worked and the more casual ops are sleeping off their 'late Saturday night'.

>> You have to call CQ.
>
> Any advice on this for low-power ops? On phone, it is often extremely
> difficult to find a place to CQ. Even with a clear frequency,  sometimes I
> call for minutes at a time without any callers.

I run qrp @ home and sure appreciate this comment. I have never done SS qrp
though and perhaps there is an endless S & P opportunity. I would think the
well would run dry at some point though. Then what? Is there another useable
band to try the CQ?