[SECC] FW: SECC_2007_175-mi_circle_Nr01 RE: SECC Circle Proposal

Subject: [SECC] FW: SECC_2007_175-mi_circle_Nr01 RE: SECC Circle Proposal
From: Matt at HiWAAY.net (Matt Lee, K4AQ)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 23:06:09 -0400

  _____

From: Matt Lee, K4AQ [mailto:Matt at HiWAAY.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 23:06
To: 'ku8e'
Cc: South East Contest Club; John Laney K4BAI; Hal Kennedy N4GG
Subject: SECC_2007_175-mi_circle_Nr01 RE: [SECC] SECC Circle Proposal

(I am cc'ing K4BAI and N4GG direct just in case the SECC reflector does not
allow non-text email.)

Jeff KU8E,

As I mentioned before when we discussed this circle exercise on the
reflector, unless we know where the SECC members are located, this "moving
the circle thing" may be invalid. Some addresses will come up on the map
centered on the post office, zip code or center of their city. For location
accuracy of members who operate their stations near the edge of the circle,
e.g., K4BAI (175 mi), N4GG (163.5 mi), K2SX (175 mi) and K4DLJ (162 mi), we
need their Lat/Long coordinates.

The software I am using is Microsoft MapPoint 2004.

Note:  MapPoint maps are based on the WGS 84 (World Geodetic System 1984)
datum. Some maps and GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) systems are based on
other datums. Latitude and longitude coordinates obtained from a map or GPS
system based on another datum may appear in a different place on MapPoint
maps.

Therefore, if a GPS is used to obtain a member's coordinates, the GPS must
be configured to use the WGS-84 datum if I am to plot it on MapPoint. (There
are map datum conversion programs available if someone wants to convert
non-WGS-84 to WGS-84 datum values.)

The 175-mi radius circle that is drawn on the maps below is centered near
Birdsville, GA on the county line that you referenced.

The first map is an overview (zoomed out); the second map shows the detail
of where the center is centered; the third map zooms in on Pawley Island (to
illustrate how the circle may easily miss K2SX's QTH...the magenta curve is
the 175-mi circle).

Center of circle coordinates:

*       Lat:    32.87225 deg N

*       Lon:    82.12780 deg W

Map #1: Circle overview <SECC_2007_175-mi-circle_Nr01.ptm>

Map #2: Middle of the circle detail <SECC_2007_175-mi-circle_Nr01.ptm>

Map #3: Part of Pawley Island, SC is "outside the SECC proposed circle." The
circle center is to the left of the magenta line.
<SECC_2007_175-mi-circle_Nr01.ptm>

Additional comments inserted below in BLUE.

--
Matt Lee, K4AQ
Atlanta, Georgia