[SECC] GQP Proposed Time Changes

Subject: [SECC] GQP Proposed Time Changes
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John T. Laney III)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 08:49:13 -0400
Bill Coleman wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2007, at 1:54 PM, John Laney wrote:
>
>> We also need to be careful about moving the starting times  earlier.
>> The
>> 14Z starting time on Sunday is so early that 40 and 20 were both very
>> unproductive this year during the first hour.
>

> I've never fully understood why the starting times on Sunday were so
> much earlier. Many folks go to Church on Sunday, why purposely
> overlap that time?
>
> Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
>             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

I suspect the reason is to allow the 20 hours of operating time and
finish early enough to get back home and wind down Sunday night.   I
also would prefer to avoid conflicts with church.  At our church, we do
have an 8:45 service which would allow me to put in the full time if I
were at home for the contest.  The FQP starts their Sunday session two
hours earlier than we.  They made that change to allow for more DX QSOs
on Sunday morning, but that was when we had sunspots.  73, John,