[SECC] A crazy question!

Subject: [SECC] A crazy question!
From: aldermant at alltel.net (Tommy)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:21:12 -0400
During an international contest, into Europe, what beam heading is best to
cover the greatest (contesting) ham population?

For the Pacific, obviously for the most contest participants, one would
point their beam toward Japan, but what about Korea and VK/ZL? Does VK/ZL
contesting population even come close to that of Japan?

The reason for the questions is that as I get my land cleared out from that
tornado disaster, I am in the planning stages of putting up some wire yagi's
for contesting. Most likely yagi type for 40m (because my trees are not tall
enough to get the bottom wire of a quad much over 30' high) and probably
quad type for 20/15/10m. We all know that a quad is quieter QRN wise than a
yagi and that the gain difference between the two types of antennas is
almost small enough to be considered negligible, for all practical purposes.
(In south Ga. Less QRN is a good thing !!) I'm aware also that a
tower/rotor/yagi is more versatile than hanging wires in trees, but at this
moment, unless I cash in some 'stuff' that I don't want to cash in, I cannot
afford the tower route, so wires it has to be for now.

So I would appreciate some comments on beam headings to both Europe and
Japan.

Thanks.

Tom - W4BQF