[SECC] Member Support

Subject: [SECC] Member Support
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:32:31 -0400
On Jul 29, 2007, at 6:06 PM, Fred Dennin wrote:

> Much has been said about spotting, and the benefits, or lack
> thereof in doing so.  Mine is not a discussion of either, but an
> observation based on the lack of spotting, at least in my case by
> SECC members.
>
> This is not a criticism, but just an observation that as a contest
> club, regardless of your mode preference, we could better support
> each other, and our club overall, if when we're in the S&P mode,
> that we conciously spot SECC members.

I fully understand the spirit with which this is intended, Fred.
However, it makes an unfortunate assumption -- that we all are using
the dx cluster and spotting is a simple matter.

When I'm operating from home, I'm usually single-operator unassisted,
so I can't really access the dx cluster during the contest. Based on
the results I see, many of our members are also in the unassisted
category, and so would have the same restriction.

Perhaps the fundamental problem isn't that SECC members are being
"stingy" with spots, but that most of us just aren't using the dx
cluster during a contest.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901