[SECC] Spotting and UNASSISTED category RE: Member Support

Subject: [SECC] Spotting and UNASSISTED category RE: Member Support
From: Matt at HiWAAY.net (Matt Lee, K4AQ)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 02:47:54 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: secc-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:secc-bounces at contesting.com] On
Behalf Of Bill Coleman
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 21:18
To: Matt at hiwaay.net
Cc: 'SECC'

On Jul 30, 2007, at 2:50 AM, Matt Lee, K4AQ wrote:

> 10. Now MINIMIZE this window so you won't see the spots! And be
> sure you are NOT using the Bandmap window either. If you see a
> Bandmap window, CLOSE IT!

It's for this reason that I think if you are unassisted, you
shouldn't be connecting to the dx cluster at all.

[K4AQ] Or have software that is "capable" of connecting to the
[K4AQ] dx cluster because there may be a potential/possibility
[K4AQ] of an operator "yielding to temptation?"
[K4AQ]
[K4AQ] Should operators with AMPLIFIERS not be allowed to
[K4AQ] compete in low power only contests, e.g., NAQP, just
[K4AQ] because they may run HP with just one push of their
[K4AQ] "operate" switch? (That is much easier than
[K4AQ] connecting to a dx cluster.)
[K4AQ]
[K4AQ] I can understand your point, Bill. YOU have that
[K4AQ] choice not to spot or connecting to the dx cluster
[K4AQ] when operating UNASSISTED based on your thinking.
[K4AQ] But to impose your thinking on others would not be
[K4AQ] fair if the rules do not prohibit spotting when
[K4AQ] operating UNASSISTED.
[K4AQ]
[K4AQ] BTW, to clarify how quickly it is to spot (with WriteLog),
[K4AQ] it only takes two steps: 1. Press ALT-F3; 2. Press ENTER.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901