[SECC] GQP re-defined

Subject: [SECC] GQP re-defined
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:30:21 -0500
> But the "normal stations" are not competing against the
> M/M station in
> GQP.  They are competing only against stations in their
> class.  If NQ4I
> (W4AN) is QRV M/M, that just gives them one more GA QSO to
> make on each
> band and mode.

That's just fine, and that wasn't my point.

My point is we should think a little about what we are
proposing and try not to polarize or upset people. Things
would sink to a record low if bonus points were given for
working a single station, especially when that station
appears to have huge advantages already. While bonus points
might be great for some special someone in a Valentine's Day
contest, it would serve to discourage any competition or
additional participation from everyone else in a general
open QSO party.

I personally feel M/M operations are a little much for state
QSO parties, not because of GA in particular, but because of
the overall potential impact. I'd certainly hate to see the
QSO parties become an event where M/M operation takes hold.

There are enough contests already that encourage endless
CQ's with high power and big antennas. It would give
contesting a big black eye to expand that into the dozens of
state QSO parties. For example, the boatanchor people try to
have a weekend or two a year where people get on with old
radios and have a little QSO session. It happens that their
contest conflicts with a big state QSO party and as is
typical for a situation like that fights start. They wonder
why contesting people have to have something with high speed
CW and high power every weekend they have something.

Most people like to do things other than work contests. They
don't mind a few big contests a year and the dozens of small
ones, but the fact is encouraging big stations in state QSO
parties will do more overall to hurt contesting and the
reputation of contests in general than it will ever help. I
know this because I associate with many different groups.

We really should try to be a bit more sensitive to others
when we hatch plans.

Why not consider limiting power, or taking M/M operation out
of general scores or prizes? Make a special M/M fixed
station class but limit it to 200W. Better yet limit
everyone to 200W. If more than one station would ever
participate in a category, have a prize or an award. Limit
the frequency spread. Set a good example so people like
contests or have something good to say about contests.

73 Tom