[SECC] GQP Countdown

Subject: [SECC] GQP Countdown
From: nq4i at contesting.com (Rick Dougherty NQ4I)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 08:47:04 -0500
Hi all...its starting to be time to count down to the GQP....Mike NE4S and
his workers have been busy this winter getting ready for the GQP....Kinda
like Santa Claus I guess...he has worked all winter for one weekend...and I
don't mean Mike looks like Santa...but enough of that...what is really
important here is the GQP is chance for the club to shine....we have one of
the best QSO parties in the country..we have some of the best prizes...and
we have had some of the best possible participation by members of the
SECC...both from home station and as mobile rovers....

I want to share what I have been doing on a personal level in my area...I am
a life member of the Charles E Newton Amateur Radio Club CENARC since
1961...I grew up in the Griffin club and have always had a soft spot for its
well being..lately our club like many others has just barely gotten
by...apathy, not enough time, busy, not interested, and lots of other
excuses were the things I heard from the membership over the past few
years.... I started talking up the GQP a few weeks ago, and its been amazing
the interest that has occurred...maybe some new life has been breathed back
into our almost defunct club!! I mention this because the same thing is
happening at a lot of local clubs all across Ga....

I have commitments from 9 of the members to come and operate with me in the
GQP.....one of the 9 has a little contest experience...the other 8 know that
I am a contestor, and they have seen my station....and some have even seen
it it in action...and now they are coming to be a part of the GQP.....I will
have OJT for these guys ...but most of all they will have fun....they will
put the CENARC club callsign K4HYB on the air for the first contest
operation since 1965....and they will come together as a group of club
members and make a difference......

I want to encourage each member of the SECC to take some time at your local
club level and see what you can do to help the SECC make this the best ever
GQP!!! I look forward to hearing from as many of you who care to share their
experiences also on this topic...I know that many of you are members of
local clubs..some even have access to more than one club...like in Savannah
and Valdosta, and the Atlanta area....it's rapidly approaching the time to
start the planning of your Rover operation too...This year again Jeff KU8E
will be handling the Rover Wrangling job...let Jeff know where you plan to
travel and what your initial plans are...I found two locals here in my club
who will be going out to a few neighboring counties during the test and
making a few q's for the GQP....

So members of the SECC......Start your engines!! Load the antennas!!....Fire
up the computers!!! and lets get the clubs across Ga humming with info about
the GQP.......The date is April 12 and 13...there are details at GQP web
site and also on the SECC there is a link to GQP....I look forward to
hearing others talk about your personal experiences with your local
clubs..lets make it the best ever GQP!!!

de Rick NQ4I