[SECC] House Bill 19... GQP etc

Subject: [SECC] House Bill 19... GQP etc
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:01:49 -0500
Michael Condon wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I saw a blurb on one of the morning shows today referring to a national
> ban on cell phone use while driving.
> No mention of other categories of distraction behavior though.
> I am not sure the feds can do this, but I don't know.  It seems like a
> state issue.
> I do not know the fact or status of this story.
>
> I think all of us should complain to the GA reps about the inclusion of
> amateur mobiles in the GA bill.
> It seems to be a fix for something that is not a problem.
> I have never heard of an accident involving a mobile ham.
> The leap from what may be a current problem with a specific class of
> behavior to include other activities that are not showing a problem is
> just wrong.
>
> My complaint will lean toward the public service aspect of amateur
> mobiles and our ability and need to respond to emergencies as requested
> by state and local agencies.
> I will compare our radio installations to those of the other categories
> of emergency and safety services.
> I will also include a comment like "it has NOT been broke for many
> decades, it does not need fixing".
>
> For GQP, our rules and advice encourage mobiles to use a driver, and it
> seems most actually do that.
> Currently there is not a separation of "driver/no driver" classes for
> Mobiles, which actually promotes using a driver.
> But I am sure that if this bill becomes law, some impact will follow for
> GQP, AQP, TQB, etc, and all other mobile activities.
> But the show will go on....
>
> In 2008, my Rover run was as a single.  I drove, stopped in a safe
> place, had some fun, and moved on.
>
> Speaking of GQP, we are just at the verge of ramping up the preliminary
> notices, reminders, and other publicity.
> The "flyer" is updated, and available for download on the web site.
> Please make some copies and take them to your club meetings over the
> next months til April 11/12.
>
> And, get a driver, get the mobile tuned up, and plan a run of some of
> the counties near you.
> You can enjoy the fun of being the object of a pile-up.
> It is a Peach of a Party!
>
> Write your reps, please
> 73,
> Mike, NE4S
>

> Please use ne4s at iham.us or mike1230 at mcnet.us as my address.
> GQP, the fastest growing QSO party, is on 4/11+12 2009.
> See gqp.contesting.com !
> Be well

Mst of you probably don't get as many QSL cards to answer as I do, but I
print out the GQP flyers 25 at a time and insert them in every envelope
going out with a QSL card.  This year, I started this about November, so
every direct request for a QSL from the latest Bonaire trip with a
return envelope has also received a flyer on 2009 GQP. I print them out
in black and white, so there is little expense and it never has
increased the weight of the envelopes sufficiently to cause a rise in
postage.  It also gives some substance to the contents of the envelopes
and I suspect they go through the mail and mail sorting procedures
better than a single card often in an ill fitting envelope.  I just fold
the flyer to fit the envelope.  I will certainly take some to the next
club meeting here in Columbus.  BTW, soon it will be time to sponsor the
plaques for GQP 2009 and I intend to ask the CARC to sponsor its usual
plaque. Will someone make the same motion at an upcoming meeting of
SEDXC?  Thanks.  73, John, K4BAI.