[SECC] More Info on No Dupes Run Tonight

Subject: [SECC] More Info on No Dupes Run Tonight
From: k4bai at worldnet.att.net (John Laney)
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 10:49:51 -0400
Seconding Ted's message, please participate in this important test on
Thursday night.  Note that it's just same-band dupes that are not
allowed.  You may work the same stn once on 20, 40 and 80m.

As Ted notes, the dupe rule is loved by some and not loved by others.
In evaluating the no same-band dupes session pay some attention to how
the contest "feels", in terms of enjoyment, challenge, QSO rate, fun etc.

Some background material on dupes:

1) The idea of using duplicate Q's to raise rate originated with Tree,
N6TR's so-called "internet sprint". You can read details at:
http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/2004-04/msg00387.html

2) Last year, some felt that lower ERP stations were at a disadvantage
because of the dupe rule. So the BOD designed a rather complex test,
which by some interpretations, showed a slight advantage for small
stations because of their ability to work dupes. Details at
http://knol.google.com/k/bill-haddon/ns-ladder-dupes-or-no-dupes/2g8g21lqo61sb/2#

3) This year a survey of Wk 4 logs showed that the rate of working dupes
was about the same for both medium scoring and higher scoring stations.
   (see earlier NCCC-blue message from N6ZFO May 11 under thread
"Dupes in Wk 4 Logs")

Finally, here is the statment about how the dupe rule came into being
for NS-Ladder:

"The first Ladder competition, which we now call NCCC Sprint Ladder I,
or NSL-I, (you can see the sports analogy developing a little further!)
was held in 2002 as an intra-club competition in which about 25 stations
competed. Rick, the Locust, K6VVA and Bob K6XX came out on top.  As an
award the NCCC gave them each a copy of the book ?How to Overcome
Addictions?.  For NSL-I Bill used the rules of an old competition
originated by Tree, N6TR, called the Internet Sprint . . . That?s where
the idea of allowing duplicate contacts to increase rate originated ?
thus making our NCCC Sprint more like a real runner?s sprint.   We like
to say that participants feel out of mental breath after after these
weekly half-hour competitions.  QSO rates approach a breathtaking 120
per hour for top competitors. "  [written by N6ZFO May 18, 2009 for an
article proposed for radio-sport.net ]

See you on Thursday,

73 Bill n6zfo