[SECC] Who is W3DYA?

Subject: [SECC] Who is W3DYA?
From: w4qo at bellsouth.net (Jim Stafford)
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:17:40 -0400
  Thanks for all the input on this subject.  And Dick I was not jesting,
it dawned on me
that he had done well and I was thinking he'd be a good speaker for our
local
radio club; wondering if he was perhaps somewhere close by.  When I did
a QRZ on him
I saw he is from Texas.  I guess my limited exposure to County Hunting
in my 52 years
has kept me from meeting Norm earlier.  He seems like a real ham's ham
and among the
many responses was this one from Norm himself.  I thought maybe there is
one other
person in the club who is as unfamiliar with him as I was so I asked
Norm if I could share
his response.  I also got a great response from K4BAI (thanks John);
I'll let you post
your response if you wish.  It is very good.

-----  I left of his photo as our reflector doesn't like photos.-----

Hi Jim:

I'm not sure what your interest might be, but I did read your QRZ page
and I guess you are interested in everything connected with RF.  Attached
is a photo of my Chevy AVEO at the Yell, AR, county line taken in the
contest a few years ago.  Skipped a couple of years due to hurricane and
granddaughter's wedding (kid has lousy timing!).

After tiring of traffic handling (NTS) I found county hunting and that's
what I've been interested in since 1967.  I disappeared for about 15
years while trying to make a living but got active in the mid-80's.

Starting in 1967 or 1968 (NCX-3 and wire to a tree or fence), I found
operating portable in the State QSO Parties was a lot of fun.  Especially
these days when each new county attracts a nice pileup!  I went full
mobile on my return in 1986 and have been at it ever since.

Briefly, I've operated mobile one or more times in NJ, WV, VA, AR, CO,
LA, and MS.  Many times in PA, IL, GA, and TX.  This weekend I will be in
Arkansas and in a couple of weeks is Texas QP.  My wife may drive or I
will operate alone.  I can operate and drive at the same time if the
roads are decent, on interstates, with limited traffic (like in West TX).

In 1986 I went mobile with an IC-703, later to an IC-735, and for over
ten years an IC-706 and IC-706MKIIG.  Antenna is a Hustler 54" mast and
resonators for 10/15/20/40/80M - sometimes I stop and mount a 160M
vertical in GA or PA.  Used an AEA Morse Machine and Bencher Paddle; now
use the Logi-Key K5.

Have family in Pensacola and MD/NJ so it's often an excuse to visit and
operate mobile in their QSO party.  And I also run counties on the county
hunter CW net:  3556.5, 7056.5, 10122.5, 14056.5, 18091.5, 21056.5,
24915.5, and 28056.5 - usually when traveling to and from MARAC (Mobile
Amateur Radio Awards Club) conventions around the U.S.

That's my story!  County Hunting and state QSO Parties are just about the
same thing!

73, Norm, W3DYA

So there you have it.  I'd like to meet Norm one day and buy him a cup of
coffee to perhaps help him stay awake during his venturing.

jim/w4qo