[SECC] Norm Beavers, W3DYA

Subject: [SECC] Norm Beavers, W3DYA
From: k4bai at att.net (John Laney)
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:40:36 -0400
As suggested by Jim, here is my reply to Jim's question of "who is
W3DYA."  Of course, Norm's reply has corrected a few fact (the daughter
is now in Pensacola, not Jacksonville, etc.), but my message did include
some things that Norm was too modest to mention.  73, John, K4BAI.

Hi Jim:  I'll leave it to Norm to reply to your message in detail. Norm,
if you didn't get Jim's query via the SECC reflector, please let me
know.  Matter of fact, I think I'll just send it on to you now.

Jim:  Norm is one of the premier CW County Hunter men in the country and
has a leading part in the annual MARAC CW County Hunters' Contest the
first weekend in May each year.  He has been coming to GA to help us out
with GQP most years for some time now.  He can be more specific, I am
sure.  One year, he started out in Columbus and we had nice visits on
Friday night and Saturday morning.  Some years, he has been single op
with no driver and stopped driving to run counties.  This year, his wife
drove him and that's how he was able to amass such a high QSO total--by
operating continuously.

Norm usually sends confirmation cards to the DX stations he works in a
QSO Party without being asked and, of course, replies to any requests he
receives.

He also does mobile operations in the TX QSO Party and in other state
QSO parties.  They have a daughter in the Jacksonville, FL area (or at
least used to) and that allows them to visit the daughter and her family
on their trips to GA.

We worked Norm at least once from TN this past weekend in the TN QP.  He
is always a snappy operator.

Norm usually makes a quick run across the other run stations in a QSO
Party before calling CQ himself.  I don't seem to have the patience to
do that, since I get beat out to the other CQers so often.

Norm has sponsored a CW only LP single op mobile plaque for the GQP for
a number of years.

So, you can see that from TX Norm has made significant contributions to
our GQP.  Maybe he would be too modest to tell you all of that himself.

I am sure he will reply with a description of his mobile installation,
corrections where I may have got something wrong, and future information

Jim and Norm:  Thanks for the QSOs with W4AN/M in TN QP last weekend.

73, John, K4BAI.