[SECC] Question about 30 meter halfwave vertical for the antenna gurus

Subject: [SECC] Question about 30 meter halfwave vertical for the antenna gurus
From: ironbutttad at yahoo.com (Tad Williamson)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 05:33:57 -0700 (PDT)
I got one of the 43' verticals from DX Engineering and was thoroughly impressed
with the construction and nice way it tilts up.? I wasn't so impressed with
it's perfomance, but "nothing ventured, Nothing gained."?? It may be location
and/or radial configuration or something else, but I've gone back to my OCF for
80/40 and a Bazooka for 160.
Anyway, I figured the vertical was only a little over 3' shy of a halfwave on
30 meters and I have some aluminum rods that I could afix to the top and make
the 46' 3" length for the halfwave.
?
I did a little searching on half-wave verticals and got mixed answers on
radials--a couple said use the full compliment of radials like a 1/4 wave
vertical, but more seemed to lean towards a counterpoise (single radial if you
will) at a half-wave.
?
Anybody ever try this and if so how did it work and what is the
radial/counterpoise configuration?
The antenna is ground mounted and has a 4:1 Unun at the base (that can be
removed if necessary).
?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
73, Tad, WF4W