[SECC] Question about 30 meter halfwave vertical for the antennagurus

Subject: [SECC] Question about 30 meter halfwave vertical for the antennagurus
From: aa4lr at arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 11:15:43 -0400
On Oct 20, 2010, at 10:54 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:

> The 43 foot vertical will work fair on bands above 60 meters, but will not
> be good at all on 80 meters and will absolutely suck on 160 meters. You'd be
> very lucky to have 1 or 2% efficiency on 160.

I shunt-feed my 15m (50 foot) tower on 160m. I've got 160m WAS, and 25
countries confirmed, all with 100 watts.
http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com/2009/04/shunt-feeding-short-tower-on-80-and.html

Of course, it helps to have lots of radials. I have about 30 totaling over 1600
feet of wire.

Even a sucky antenna can be made to work.

But I agree about the 43 foot thing. It seems to be a cult-like condition, like
the 88 foot dipole in QRP circles. Of course, LB modelled the 88 foot dipole at
100 feet and 70 feet. Most of the guys who put these up rarely get them over 35
feet.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901