[SECC] Run or S&P Mode for new or casual contesters?

Subject: [SECC] Run or S&P Mode for new or casual contesters?
From: Kt4zb at aol.com (Kt4zb at aol.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:51:54 EDT
Hi all - My comments are directed to this weeks contest, CQWW SSB,  Low
Power.  Hopefully, this year things will spread out some with  15m and 10m in
better shape.

Search and Pounce is the main mode for Low Power as it is  very difficult
to establish and keep a run going because of the QRM from  stations on every
available freq.  Last year 15m was the place for low  power stations to go.
This year 10m may work for us on the East  Coast.  Europe has been open on
15m at 8:30 am and 10m at 9:30 am.   Some stations 20db over.

One thing that is important is know when to look for Africa, Pacific  and
Japan openings on each of the bands. Good openings there are much  less
frequent than the Europe openings but provide much needed mults.  You  only
need
to work one JA to get the country and zone, so while it's fun to try  and
work more, your score may be better if you grab the loudest one and work  some
more Europe.  Last night I worked AH6V on 10m about 6:30 pm.  The  key to
success for working SA and the islands is when Europe is closing for  them.
You can call for 20 minutes to a loud SA station; but, if they're  pointed
to Eu and running they may never hear a low power dipole signal.   Later as
they turn to NA, you can call once and be done.

Running during CQWW:  Last year I had runs on Sunday  on 20m, 15m and 10m
with 15m being the best by far. Almost all were  short as I got shoved aside
by bigger stations. If 20m is still open late  after folks are moving to the
lower bands as Europe closed, I've had some  success running VE's just to
add QSO's.  They are only 2 points, but for a  low power station that's ok.
Every point can be a struggle.  I don't  have the antennas for a big fight
on the low bands, so I try S&P for mults  and build Q's on the higher bands.
DX contests require a different  strategy than domestic contests such as
NAQP.  Sunday is the day  for low power runs.

Logging:  I recommend N1MM for single station  logging, works great,
connects to the cluster and is free.  Just don't wait  until the contest starts
try it out.

All the above is pretty basic, but thinking about it before the contest
will help drive your score.  Good hunting to all and hope to hear you on  the
bands

Jere, KT4ZB

In a message dated 10/27/2010 11:53:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,