[SECC] FT1000MP vs K3

Subject: [SECC] FT1000MP vs K3
From: jimworth at me.com (Jim Worthington)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:33:58 -0500
Jeff,

I had an FT1000MP for 6 years before purchasing the K3. The K3 definitely has a
better receiver and a lot more options for tailoring the operation to your
preferences. It also has much better support for digital modes and zero beating
CW signals - not surprising for a design that is a decade newer than the FT1000
series. The K3 receiver also benefits from being designed as a ham band only
rig vs. general coverage.

I have traveled with both radios. Not only is the K3 smaller and lighter, the
internal tuner has a much wider range (specified for up to 10:1 SWR). This can
be useful with temporary antennas.

That said, I loved my FT1000MP. The larger size makes it easier to get to and
manipulate some of the controls. There are more of them on the front panel and
they are larger. The learning curve on the K3 is a bit longer. If I were going
to use one of these rigs to operate a contest without having used either
before, the FT1000MP would be my choice.

Overall, I prefer the K3. Once I learned where everything is and how to adjust
it for my needs, it became easy to use. A couple of examples may help clarify
this.

Out of the box, K3 does not have buttons for each band. You push up and down
arrows to cycle through the bands. However, it is easy to configure so that
each button on the keypad selects a band (only 10 buttons for 11 bands, but I
am happy to omit 60 meters from instant band selection).

To enjoy the full benefits of the K3 receiver's dynamic range, you need to make
use of the attenuator, preamp (generally off), AGC, and RF gain controls.
Otherwise, you may mistakenly perceive the K3 receiver as "noisy" (see
<http://n1eu.com/K3/K3_agcgain.htm> ).

Both are great rigs. Three of the top 160 meter contesters I know (K3ZM,
VY2ZM/K1ZM, and our own W8JI), have at least one K3 and one FT1000 series.

73,
Jim AD4J