[SECC] K9AY loop and lightning

Subject: [SECC] K9AY loop and lightning
From: halken at comcast.net (Hal Kennedy)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 14:19:43 -0400
Came home from FL to find the K9AY loop rather sick ? intermittent
control and not much front to back.

Opened it up today ? glad I had the bulkhead connections at the house
all pulled, as the storm that came through early this month got the loop
pretty good.  The 470 ohm 2W carbon balance resistor now reads 1100 ohms
but looks okay.  The Heavy MOVs from both control lines to ground were
blown open.  One of the snubber diodes across one relay coil is also
open.  The ferrite binocular core transformer has multiple cracks and is
being held together by the windings.

This is all easy to fix ? an hours work.  It?s worth checking your box
now and then!  In the store-bought K9AYs they use either ? or 1/8 watts
balancing resistors ? even more prone to getting zapped by a nearby
strike.  I see no evidence of a direct hit around here ? just lots of
ground currents flowing.

N4GG