SS Comments

Subject: SS Comments
From: tree@lady.axian.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 22:00:17 -0800 (PST)
> As you probably know, it has dual VFO tune capability
> but only on the same band.  I used this capability
> to tune for other stations while I CQed on the main
> VFO.  Either I couldn't figure it out in the heat of
> battle or TR or the radio's computer interface
> doesn't support entering stations into the band map
> from the 2nd VFO.  It sure would be nice to map
> the band with the 2nd VFO while CQing on the first.
> Is this possible given the computer interface?

How does one tune with the second VFO while CQing with the
other?  I didn't think the receiver was totally separate
and allowed this.  It seems to me that unless you have
a real second radio that is on a different band so that
you can listen while CQing or sending an exchange is
really what two radio is all about.  I would think the
benefit of only listening when you were not transmitting
would be very small.

No, TR doesn't know much about the second VFO.  It can only
set it for split transmitter frequency.

> - I entered a few stations sections and checks into
> TRMASTER.DTA built from AD1C's US/VE database.  I
> just wanted to check out the capability (it is
> way cool!).  All seemed to be working before the
> test with TR putting the data in the EXCHANGE line,
> but during the test it didn't put any data into
> the EXCHANGE line when I worked one of the stations
> that I had entered data for.  Maybe some screw-up
> on my part.

You need to set the initial exchange to whatever field you
stored the data in.  After using the program with the
information just displayed below the call window, I am
convinced that is much better than having the data put
into the exchange window.

> - Late in the contest on several occasions, TR just
> hung up on sending CW and sent a continuous tone.
> ESC would stop the CW, but if I hit another F key
> again just continuous tone.  The problem would
> start and be constant.  I tried exiting the program
> and power off/on the rig, but neither fixed the problem.
> The only thing that seemed to fix the problem was just
> sending by hand for a minute or two and then going back
> to the computer.  Very strange.  BTW, I was using a
> notebook computer that is not a burner by today's
> standards (386SX at 25MHz).

I had one or two similar (but not the same) things occur with
the 386 I was using.  I have never seen it at home.

> Great job Tree on all the recent changes!

Thanks.

> Hope you had fun at Pat's.  You sure were loud!

It was an interesting contest.  For me, the hardest part was
recovering mentally from having to use a break period in the
first hour.  It is very gratifying to find out that I may
have won.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com