Keying Problems

Subject: Keying Problems
From: w9cf@ptolemy.la.asu.edu (Kevin E. Schmidt)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 97 11:12:05 -0700
> and the problem mostly goes away.  Still sounds like RF,
> but here's where it got weird.  K4HA says, "I never have
> the problems with CT", so we fire up CT on all the same
> H/W, and we can run full power to the amp with no keying
> problems.  It almost seemed like the TR program itself was
> more susceptible to RF than CT, but I've never heard anything
> like that.  Anyone got any ideas?
>
> 73, Jim Stevens, K4MA (ex KI4HN)

One possiblility might be that you are using a parallel port and have
ptt enabled in TR. In that case, the strobe line which is connected to
the keyer transistor emitter will be pulled low during the whole
transmission making the keyer transistor more susceptible to rf. If you
set ptt enable = false with the control-j menu, the strobe line gets
keyed along with the cw line that is connected to the transistor base.
If CT keys both lines by default that would explain the difference.

On the other hand, I may be completely wrong.

73 Kevin w9cf
Kevin Schmidt w9cf@ptolemy.la.asu.edu
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287-1504
(602) 965-8240
(602) 965-7954 (FAX)