More Keying Problems

Subject: More Keying Problems
From: oolon@eskimo.com (Jack Fleming)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 21:36:04 -0800 (PST)
So my trusty TS140S finally was giving me problems during NAQP - it would
suddenly go "BLAAP!" when keyed - lights (on the rig) going out and no
power.  It would come back to life in just a second (sometimes longer...)
but eventually it just stayed dead.

I took it to the shop (being member #13 of the Quarter Century Appliance
Operators I rely on the kindness of others...) and they "fixed" it.  I got
it back in about 10 days - the sheet says they "Discovered unit
erratic power on.  Repaired pinched wire from P.A. module.  Repaired
intermittant on/off switch.  Replaced burned out meter lamp."  But today
while warming up for the ARRL DX contest I discover it STILL does what it
did.  "BLAAP!" and it's dead.  I'll be taking it back to the shop...

But that's not why I'm writing...

I have a loaner rig from a friend.  An Icom IC-751A.  I hooked up the
cable for TR (a parallel cable) that had been working fine (except for the
"BLAAP!" problem) on the TS140.  When I hit the F9 key to test whether it
works, all it sends is 6 dits.  When I hit the F1 key, it sends a bunch of
random dits.

I switched to a serial cable (untested - I just built it, but I
think it's OK - remember I'm QCAO) and when I turn on the rig, without
hitting any keys, it is sending a never ending series of dahs...  When I
hook up the MorseMachine keyer, it also sends a series of dashes without
hitting the paddles...

So.  Any suggestions?  Does this have something to do with positive and
negative keyed rigs?  Should I build a different style cable?  Should I
spend the weekend watching basketball on TV?

Any help would be appreciated!

advTHANKSance!

 73 Jack, WA0RJY, aka K7ED in contests and when calling VK0IR QRP

Jack Fleming, WA0RJY                             oolon@eskimo.com
ex-K7SS/PTI ex-CN2JF ex-CN0A ex-CT1/WA0RJY ex-HS0/WA0RJY ex-HS0AC
      Trustee of Paladin Contest Club Callsign - K7ED
Seattle, WA   http://www.eskimo.com/~oolon/      DON'T PANIC!